If you’ve just been gifted or bought some beautiful fresh or dried flower arrangements for yourself, you’ll want to take care of them the right way to prolong their freshness and vibrancy. We’ve created our flower care guide with some handy tips for handling flowers so you can enjoy them in their peak beauty for as long as possible. We’ve prepared instructions for every type of flower arrangement you may have so keep reading.
Bouquet flowers should be placed in water as soon as possible to avoid wilting and keep them in their fresh, vibrant state for as long as possible.
Here are the main steps you’ll need to follow to care for and display your flowers:
- Unwrap your flowers from the wrapping and ribbon.
- Pick a vase that is roughly 1/3 the height of your flowers. Fill up the vase with ⅔ of cold water.
- Trim your flower stems (2-3cm) with some sharp scissors.
- Remove leaves and foliage that sit under the waterline to keep your vase looking tidy and free of debris.
- Change the water in your vase every 2 days. If you’re not sure when to, cloudy, yellowish, or brownish-coloured water is a good indication it’s time to change it.
- Keep your flowers out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources. Avoid placing it near your fruit bowl as well because fruit releases ethylene gas which can accelerate flower deterioration.
If you have received vase flowers, you don’t really need to do much! Just make sure to change the water every 2 days and trim the stems.
Everlasting dried flowers
Dried flowers are beautiful and are designed to last for years with proper care. If you’ve got some, you’re in luck because they don’t need much of your attention, if any at all. Here are our main tips for looking after your dried flower arrangement:
- Don’t water dried flowers, unlike fresh flowers, they will get damaged if exposed to moisture/water.
- Don’t expose them to direct sunlight. Although they have been bleached and coloured, sunlight can cause them to fade over time.
- Handle dried flower arrangements gently as they are very fragile. Over time, it is normal to expect some slight breakage and shedding. Repurpose these petals and bits in other ways.
- Place dried flowers indoors, somewhere cool and dry, with adequate airflow. Keep them away from little children and pets.
Mordialloc Florist™ - exquisite flower arrangements anywhere in Melbourne
Need fresh or everlasting flowers to give to a loved one, decorate an event, or just brighten your own home? Experience the beauty of Mordialloc Florist™ flowers and our impeccable customer service. We offer same day delivery all over Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula. Shop for flower arrangements of every style and colour, for every occasion - from classic sunflowers and roses, to native flowers, and everything in between, we’re your trusted florist in Melbourne.